From January 2019, YSU Ijevan Branch has initiated a series of interviews on “Formula for Success” with the graduates of various years of Ijevan Branch of “Yerevan State University” Foundation, who have reached certain achievements.
From its foundation up to now, the Branch has around 6,000 graduates, many of its graduates work effectively in various spheres of public life, in state and public institutions, in the university and banking system, and more. They, as highly qualified professionals, are patriotic and responsible citizens, can serve an example for younger generation, our current and future students, young people in the region, to motivate them to reach greater achievements in their lives and register progress.
On January 17,2019, we had an interview with YSU Ijevan Branch graduate of 1999 year, YSUIB Scientific Secretary, Head of Organizational Department, Associate Professor of the Department of General Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Ph.D Mher S. Atoyan.
– We would like to know your birth date and place.
– I was born in 1976, on November 1, in Sevkar village of Tavush region.
– Tell us a little bit about your family (parents, wife / husband, children).
– I’m a son of teachers. My mother Tsovinar Mkhitaryan is a physics teacher, and my father, Sergey Atoyan, is a physical education teacher, and my sister and brother are YSUIB graduates. My wife Gayane Avetisyan is also a Branch graduate, an economist by profession. I have three children, a boy and two daughters.
- What was your childhood dream?
– From childhood I was interested in nature-related phenomena.
– What education did you receive?
– 1989-1993, I studied at the National lyceum after Anania Shirakatsi in Yerevan.
-1993-1994 and in 1996-1999 I graduated with honors from YSU Ijevan branch of Natural Sciences and got a bachelor of physics.
1994-1996 served in the RA Armed Forces.
from 1999 to 2001 I studied at YSU and got a Master’s Degree in Physics.
From 2001 to 2005 I was a post-graduate student of YSU Faculty of Physics, specialization in “Physics of Semiconductors and Dielectrics” (Measured quantum systems and nanostructures). In 2005, by the decision of 049 professional council on May 21, I received a degree of Candidate of Physical and Mathematical Sciences. In 2018, I was awarded the title of associate professor by the decision of the RA Higher Qualification Commission.
– What role did YSUIB education have in your life?
– In those years, the opening of YSUIB in Tavush played a decisive role in my life.
–What work experience do you have?
– In 1999-2000 I worked in the Ashtarak Institute for Physical Research as a senior laboratory assistant with the growth of laser crystals.
2004-2007 I worked as an assistant at YSU Ijevan branch.
2007-2009 I worked as the Deputy Dean of the Faculty of Natural Sciences, YSU Ijevan Branch.
2008-2013, the head of YSUIB Department of General Physics of Natural Sciences.
2013-2014, assistant to YSUIB Director.
Since 2014, Scientific Secretary of YSU Ijevan Branch.
Since 2017, the Head of the Scientific-organizational department of YSUIB.
– What is your favorite book?
– The novel by Oscar Wilde “The Portrait of Dorian Gray. In general, I prefer to read psychological and philosophical books.
– What is the last book you read?
– Mark Manson’s book, “The subtle art of not giving a f*ck”.
– What kind of music do you prefer and what is your favorite song?
– It depends on the mood, I listen to different music.
– What is your favorite movie?
– From Armenian films, “We are Our Mountains”, foreign movies, “Avatar”.
– Do you have a favorite sport?
– I love sports. I prefer table tennis and chess.
– What is your favorite place in Armenia and abroad?
– I always miss the nature of my native village, no matter how often I visit there.
– What qualities do you value in people?
Honesty, hard-working, diligence, ability to forgive.
– Do you have favourite quote?
– Treat others the way you want to be treated.
– What will you never do?
– I will not betray.
- What are you afraid of?
– I’m afraid not to keep on time.
- Why are you sorry?
– I’m sorry for the things i have not done.
– What helps you to make up your mind in difficult situations?
– The desire to analyze the situation objectively, the habit and the determination to learn from others’ mistakes.
– What do you think is the biggest achievement of your life?
– My family and friends.
– What is your formula for success?
– Purpose + discipline + hard-working + honesty + ability to soberly assess the situation = success.
– What is the most valuable advice you have received?
“Whatever you do, you will do it yourself”.
– What is the main message that you would like to give to young people (in particular, YSUIB students)?
– Learn to learn.
– Thank you for participating in the interview, Mr. Atoyan.
Interviewed by YSUIB Public Relations and Press responsible Hasmik Vanyan.