YSU Ijevan Branch is pleased to share with you the 30 wise sayings and 10 life rules by the famous English actor, comedian, scriptwriter, songwriter and director, the great master of cinematography Charles Spencer Chaplin.
- “I neither believe nor disbelieve in anything. That which can be imagined is as much an approximation to truth as that which can be proved by mathematics”
- “A day without laughing is a day wasted”
- “Think about yourself at least once in your life otherwise you may miss the best comedy in this world”
- “The soul of man has been given wings and at last he is beginning to fly!”
- “How does one get ideas? By sheer perseverance to the point of madness”
- “There are more valid facts and details in works of art than there are in history books”
- “Your naked body should only belong to those who fall in love with your naked soul.”
- “Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot.”
- “I do not need drugs to be a genius, do not take a genius to be human, but I need your smile to be happy”
- “we must laugh in the face of our helplessness against the forces of nature – or go insane”
- “Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself”
- “We think too much and feel too little”
- “I am not a political man and I have no political convictions. I am an individual and a believer in liberty. That is all the politics I have”
- “You will find that life’s still worthwhile… if you just smile!”
- “That’s all any of us are: amateurs. We don’t live long enough to be anything else”
- “To truly laugh, you must be able to take your pain, and play with it!”
- Let us strive for the impossible. The great achievements throughout history have been the conquest of what seemed the impossible.
- “Perfect love is the most beautiful of all frustrations because it is more than one can express.”
- “I always like walking in the rain, so no one can see me crying.”
- “That’s the trouble with the world. We all despise ourselves.”
- “Imagination means nothing without doing.”
- “Life can be wonderful if you’re not afraid of it. All it takes is courage, imagination … and a little dough.”
- “Nothing is permanent in this wicked world – not even our troubles.”
- “The saddest thing I can imagine is to get used to luxury.”
- “One murder makes a villain, millions a hero. Numbers sanctify”.
- “This is a ruthless world and one must be ruthless to cope with it.”
- “We all want to help one another. Human beings are like that. We want to live by each other’s happiness, not by each other’s misery.”
- “One murder makes a villain, millions a hero. Numbers sanctify”.
- “I suppose that’s one of the ironies of life – doing the wrong thing at the right moment”.
- “I am not an angel, but always wanted to be a man”.
- “As I began to love myself I found that anguish and emotional suffering are only warning signs that I was living against my own truth. Today, I know, this is AUTHENTICITY.
- As I began to love myself I understood how much it can offend somebody if I try to force my desires on this person, even though I knew the time was not right and the person was not ready for it, and even though this person was me. Today I call it RESPECT.
- As I began to love myself I stopped craving for a different life, and I could see that everything that surrounded me was inviting me to grow. Today I call it
- As I began to love myself I understood that at any circumstance, I am in the right place at the right time, and everything happens at the exactly right moment. So I could be calm. Today I call it SELF-CONFIDENCE.
- As I began to love myself I quit stealing my own time, and I stopped designing huge projects for the future. Today, I only do what brings me joy and happiness, things I love to do and that make my heart cheer, and I do them in my own way and in my own rhythm. Today I call it
- As I began to love myself I freed myself of anything that is no good for my health – food, people, things, situations, and everything that drew me down and away from myself. At first, I called this attitude a healthy egoism. Today I know it is LOVE OF ONESELF.
- As I began to love myself I quit trying to always be right, and ever since I was wrong less of the time. Today I discovered that is MODESTY.
- As I began to love myself I refused to go on living in the past and worrying about the future. Now, I only live for the moment, where everything is happening. Today I live each day, day by day, and I call it FULFILLMENT.
- As I began to love myself I recognized that my mind can disturb me and it can make me sick. But as I connected it to my heart, my mind became a valuable ally. Today I call this connection WISDOM OF THE HEART.
- We no longer need to fear arguments, confrontations or any kind of problems with ourselves or others. Even stars collide, and out of their crashing new worlds are born. Today I know THAT IS LIFE.“
Today, On February 19th, 2019, marks the 150th anniversary of birth of renowned Armenian poet Hovhannes Tumanyan (1869-1923) ,”Eternal Traveler”, “Genius”, “The All-Armenian Poet”, the greatest Armenian writer, national-public figure. The 150th Anniversary of Hovhannes Tumanyan is a glorious holiday for not only Armenians, also far from its borders.
We carry from old our treasure,
Vast as the sea,
Brought into life
By the great soul of our people,
In our lofty land-
The Armenian Highlands.
Writers are destined to play a role in the history of their nation’s literature. And only a few of them play a special role, also, in their nation’s spiritual life. Hovhannes Tumanyan played such a role in Armenian literature. One can easily explore Armenia and its traditions through the poetry of Hovhannes Toumanyan.
Ah, whither leads this pathway long and dark,
My God, where ends it, thus with fears obsessed?
When shall night end this day’s last glimmering spark?
Where shall my weary feet to-night find rest?
Hovhannes Tumanyan, without a doubt, is one of the greatest, if not, the greatest Armenian poet. Every Armenian loves him and his poems. Especially little children listen and learn poems, tales and stories by him from a very young age.
Tumanyan wrote his poems and writings in a language which was accessible and understandable to everyone. This was one of the most important facts of his success. His most famous works are: “The End of Evil”, “Davit of Sassoun”, ” A Drop of Honey”, “Akhtamar” , “Gikor”, “Anoush”, “Nazar the Brave” etc. Tumanyan’s inspiration came from everyday ordinary activities of ordinary people. Usually, the heroes of his works are peasants. Yet, he manages to reveal qualities such as the power of thought, richness of feelings, beauty and wisdom.
If you stand very still in the heat of a wood
You will hear many wonderful things;
The snap of a twig and the wind in the trees,
And the whirr of invisible wings.
If you stand very still and hold to your faith
You will get all the help that you ask;
You will draw from the silence
the things that you need,
Hope and courage and strength for your task.
His works are loved not only in Armenia, but also far from its borders. In every place where Armenians live, his words emit the aroma of his homeland.
- “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the former”
- “Only a fool needs an order, a genius dominates over the chaos”
- “Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but no one knows why. In our lab, theory and practice are combined: nothing works and no one knows why”
- “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle”
- “Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school”
- “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live it’s whole life believing it is stupid”
- “Only those who attempt the absurd can achieve the impossible.”
- “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones”
- “Imagination is more important than knowledge For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research”
- “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
- “We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”
- “If I had known they were going to do this, I would have become a shoemaker”
- “Everyone knew it was impossible, until a fool who didn’t know came along and did it.”
- “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”
- “Education is not the learning of facts, it’s rather the training of the mind to think”
- Most people say that it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character”
- “Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than the one with all the facts”
- “A person starts to live when he can live outside himself”
- “Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.”
- “Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas”
- “Only one who devotes himself to a cause with his whole strength and soul can be a true master. For this reason mastery demands all of a person”
- “If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or things”
- “International law exists only in textbooks on international law”
- “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”
- “The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education”
- “I’m doing just fine, considering that I have triumphantly survived Nazism and two wives”
- “A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?”
- “I never think of the future – it comes soon enough”
- “The most wonderful thing we feel is impossible to explain”
- “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new”
- “I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university.”
- “You think everything is easy, yes it’s easy, but not so”
- “All people are cheating. But that’s not terrible. people do not listen to one another”
- “Too crazy to be genius”
- “To break the wall with the forehead, you have to have a great deal of force, or many foreheads”
- “If you can’t explain it to a six year old, you don’t understand it yourself.”
- “Logic will get you from A to Z. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
- “You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else”
- “Never memorize something that you can look up”
- “If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?”
18 recommendations of the great Austrian psychologist, psychiatrist and neurologist, the founder of psychoanalysis Sigmund Freud help overcome lack of confidence and understand ourselves.
- “The dream is the liberation of the spirit from the pressure of external nature, a detachment of the soul from the fetters of matter”
- “The only person with whom you have to compare yourself is you in the past”
- “The more perfect a person is on the outside, the more demons they have on the inside”
- “Public self is a conditioned construct of the inner psychological self”
- “Neurosis is the inability to tolerate ambiguity”
- “Love in the form of longing and deprivation lowers the self regard”
- “Obviously one must hold oneself responsible for the evil impulses of one’s dreams. In what other way can one deal with them? Unless the content of the dream rightly understood is inspired by alien spirits, it is part of my own being”
- “There are no accidents and no coincidences”
- “A man who has been the indisputable favorite of his mother keeps for life the feeling of a conqueror”
- “Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility”
- “Out of your vulnerabilities will come your strength”
- “How bold one gets when one is sure of being loved”
- “Being entirely honest with oneself is a good exercise”
- “Conscience is the internal perception of the rejection of a particular wish operating within us.”
- “Out of your vulnerabilities will come your strength”
- “What is common in all these dreams is obvious. They completely satisfy wishes excited during the day which remain unrealized. They are simply and undisguisedly realizations of wishes”
- “The busy man has few idle visitors, to the boiling pot the flies come not”
- “Only childhood dreams fulfilment will bring happiness”